Saturday, June 25 –
Nathan and the kids spent some time in the arena today riding horses. They had a lot of fun.
Stockton practiced dragging a heavy piece of wood around to get his horse used to the idea.
Friday, July 3 –
This is the story of a birthday cake that shouldn’t have been edible, but somehow survived a very unusual baking process.
It begins with a broken stove. My stove went out and we decided not to try and repair it because I didn’t like it that much anyway. I’ve only been using it a short time because the one I really like has been out of commission for a while.
This is the stove I really like. I paid it out little by little until I had paid the full amount to a man with a little antique/salvage business on FM 1585 in Lubbock. That was about 15 years ago or more.
Anyway, until I can repair this big stove, we bought this little apartment stove that has a charm all its own.
So, back to the cake. Now that I had a stove again, it was time to bake Carolina a birthday cake. Unfortunately, after only about 15 or 20 minutes into the baking, my propane ran out! I called Nathan to see if propane could be delivered, but being Friday, July 3rd before a holiday weekend, they were already out of the office. So I hurriedly kindled a fire in the wood cook stove and hoped it would get hot before the other one cooled down too much. Once it was hot enough, I carefully moved the jiggling half-baked cake to the woodstove and continued the baking.
Here I am with the nicely cooked cake and the hot, hot stove in the background.
Well, there you have the miracle cake. I wouldn’t recommend this method, but I’m glad it worked out this time.
So was Carolina.
While in Tennessee for Alan’s birth, we went to an estate sale. I bought this marvelous metal dry sink.
I found this picture on pinterest (follow me@Shannon Ranch). I loved it and used it as an inspiration.
Cim offered to paint it for me one day last week. I’m so in love with it. I’d like to use it someday in a real sink application somehow.
We also made a few other changes. We painted the coffee table a similar color and then distressed it a bit.
We also recovered a lamp shade. We ripped off the red material and replaced it with our color. Carolina is also sewing us some new curtains. I’ll post on that later when they’re all finished and installed.